ABOUT ST MARTIN'S SCHOOL
Origins with a heart for education
St Martin’s School traces its origins back to the foundation of St Agnes School for the training of domestic helpers in 1908. A few years later, in 1911, St Peter’s Priory and College were added, offering a boarding-based high school education to the young men of South Africa.
A history and Alumni to be proud of
It soon became known as the “Black Eton”, where academic achievements were espoused. The list of early alumni is impressive. The likes of Oliver Tambo, Fikile Bam, Hugh Masekela and many more former learners hold key positions in government and in large international corporations.
The resilient birth of St Martin's
The apartheid policies of the National Party put pressure on the school and it was closed in 1956. However, the Anglican Church ensured that education continued in this attractive part of southern Johannesburg. The buildings re-opened for business in 1958 - St Martin’s School was born.